Wessex Water Foundation Community Grants
The Wessex Water Foundation Community Fund supports charitable and community activities which aim to improve the lives of local people, especially those who are in the most need of support.
Grants of up to £3,000 are targeted at organisations where a small amount of money can make a significant difference.
The fund will seek to support a wide range of locally based groups especially grassroots and small to medium-sized organisations. We particularly welcome applications from BAME groups.
Priority will be given to work that:
- supports people in financial difficulty or those who lack access to services
- takes place in areas of multiple deprivation or rural isolation
- helps build stronger, more resilient communities
- helps people manage or avoid debt, including raising awareness and take up of utility affordability support, such as the Wessex Water schemes, among those who need it most
- educates and supports people of all ages to take steps to build financial capability, money management and household budgeting skills.
Please note: Swindon and some surrounding areas are not served by Wessex Water and therefore groups in these areas are not eligible to apply for this fund. If you are unsure, please check with us before applying.
What types of organisations can apply?
- voluntary and community groups with charitable aims
- registered charity
- community interest company
- town and parish councils
Funding is limited to local organisations based in the Wessex Water area. Applicants must be based and working in Wiltshire.
We do not normally fund organisations which are holding more than 12 months of annual expenditure in unrestricted reserves. If your organisation is holding significant reserves, please make clear why these reserves cannot be used to cover the cost of the activity.
*If your group is a Community Interest Company (CIC) you must be limited by guarantee and have a minimum of 3 directors, with the majority not receiving payment from the company.
You cannot apply to the Wessex Water Community Fund if you have already received Wessex Water Environment Fund funding in the same year.
Your organisation will need to provide the following:
- A copy of your constitution/governing document, if not registered at Companies House or the Charities Commission
- A copy of a bank statement in the name of your organisation which is no more than three months old. This bank account must have two unrelated signatories
- A copy of your most recent annual accounts or financial records that show your organisation’s balance of funds, income, and expenditure.
- An up-to-date safeguarding policy for your organisation. This is required even if you don’t work directly with children or vulnerable adults. For guidance, please see https://knowhow.ncvo.org.uk/safeguarding
Apart from the bank statement, you do not have to send these if you have already sent these documents in the last 6 months to the Community Foundation
If you are not a formal group, and cannot provide the above, you will need to have another organisation apply for the funds in their own name.
Which types of project are eligible for funding?
You can apply for a grant for:
- costs for activities that strengthen communities by addressing local needs and issues. This may include core costs.
How much can I apply for?
You can apply for a grant for up to £3,000
What we do not fund
- Applications from individuals
- National organisations or those based outside the region
- General appeals including for capital building projects
- Activities which are a statutory responsibility
- Political groups or activities promoting religious beliefs
- Animal welfare
- Arts or sports projects with no significant community or charitable element.
- One-off events with no significant community or charitable element.
- Medical research, equipment, or treatment
- Projects that take place before a grant can be awarded
- Activities that raise funds for other organisations
Applicants whose project is primarily focused on environmental themes or water refill points are advised to apply to the Wessex Water Foundation Environment Fund, opening in May 2022.
What will happen next?
Once we have received your application (including all supporting documents) it will be assessed by a member of staff. They may contact you for further information or to arrange to meet to discuss the application in more detail. The application will then go to a community panel for a decision. You will be notified of the outcome at the end of November 2021.
Monitoring and Evaluation
All successful applicants will be sent a grant monitoring report form at the end of their project. This form asks for details of how the grant was spent and what was achieved.
Full criteria and guidelines are available to download here
Applications are now open and you can apply here. Closing date for applications is 5pm on 22 October.